Monday, May 4, 2009

Volunteer Appreciation 2009

Friday, May 1 was our annual Volunteer Appreciation Dinner. I don't know about others, but I had a great time and was reminded of the privilege I feel of being part of the His Hands community with some many great friends.

If you missed it, here is a synopsis!


Mercy Medical Center provided us with a wonderful facility & volunteer Linda Palmer decorated the tables with African Artifacts to go with our "Africa" Theme.




Volunteers coming in and mingling before the dinner starts.


Our speaker, Valerie Dorsey, a nurse missionary with Children's Relief International to Mozambique, spoke about how God's plan is not always our plan but that he can use all of our experiences for his glory. She had a lot of great "nuggets" to share with audience.


These pictures are of the dolls Valerie brought and lined up along the steps of the stage. These yarn dolls were made by a local craft person and volunteers got a chance to "purchase" a doll for $5, name it, and pledge to pray for the child that is going to get the doll in Mozambique.

We also had a prayer time for Pam Skelton, a His Hands volunteer, who is going with a team from Hillside Wesleyan Church on a medical mission to South Africa and Zambia in June. We can't all go to Africa, but we can pray for those who are going there to care for people and share Jesus' love.

Lastly, and most memorable for me was ending the evening with the song, "Sanctuary". But before we sang it Jim Bell went through to words with us, that this song is a prayer-that we would be a dwelling place for God.

Sanctuary

Lord, prepare me to be a sanctuary

Pure and holy, tried and true

And with thanksgiving

I’ll be a living sanctuary for you


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing these pictures! I saw my "husband" Jerry there, he said the dinner was great! He told me about the dolls now I know what they will look like. I will share this blog with him...Anita Owen (Soaring Eagle)

    ReplyDelete